Wednesday, May 21, 2008

No, Really...It's about YOU

It really is about YOU. So I've learned something. 'You Not Them' simply means YOU. YOU start learning, YOU start loving learning, YOU start filling in the gaps of YOUR education...not with the hopes that your kids will follow, not with the desire to set a good example. You do it because you WANT to.

I started a men only book discussion group and I've been working hard reading and scanning books for us to read as a group...and I've hated every moment. Finally, yesterday I put away all the "men" books I was attempting to make mean something to this group and read "The Phantom of the Opera", not because I thought it would be a good reading for the group, but simply because I wanted to. I enjoyed myself immensely and learned much more than I had the last few weeks. I realized that it truly is about ME and it is about YOU, not them. Now instead of picking books I think will teach a good moral to the men in the group, I now will pick books that interest me and ask them to pick books that interest them. And because I will be focusing on ME not them, I believe that all of us will learn much more and get much more out of our discussions.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Michael! Loved the post! Can't wait to get this site out to the public!