Thursday, June 25, 2009

7th Principle of Freedom

The Proper Role of Government is to Protect Equal Rights, Not Provide Equal Things.

At our 6/19/09 Colloquium, one of the discussions we had was about Denali Kid Care, Medicaid, and other government programs and whether it is acceptable, or wise, to use them or not. After reading the chapter on this principle in The 5000 Year Leap, I have one thing to add to our conversation. Let me say that, if facing the birth of a child, and I had no, or limited, health insurance, I would not walk around to my neighbors and take $10 from each of them without asking. I wouldn't steal a barrel of oil from BP to help finance that birth. I might ask for help, I might beg, but I would NOT take without asking. When I accept any government assistance, I have to face the fact that I am doing this indirectly. Is this hard to swallow? Absolutely. Does this mean that I won't take the 'Earned Income Credit' or the 'Additional Child Tax Credit' on my taxes, (which can result in getting more tax money back than I paid) when I qualify? Does it mean I refuse government money, taken from the people, to finance mine or my child's education? I don't know. I need to discuss it with God. I need to look inside me. I hope you do too.

No comments: